We are excited to welcome Bob Alderson as the guest speaker at this year’s fall VAR! He will be discussing his exploration and finds in the local NSS Cave preserve, New River Cave. So come out and hear about the bruises from the Meat Grinder, daring leaps across Jacobs Window, and the final discover of Parrot’s Roost.
Guided cave trips!
We’ll have plenty of guided cave trips to local caves at all skill levels! Make sure to let us know if there’s a specific cave, or type of trip you’d like to go on. We have lots of enthusiastic cavers who would love to show you around.
Some of the guided cave trips include:
* New River Cave – To the Forest Room, Waterfall, and Planetarium. All horizontal, good for beginners with some endurance. This cave will be great for self guided trips as well!
* James Cave – Great beginner horizontal trip with some crawling and tight-ish spaces.
* Links – Love canyoning? This horizontal cave is for you. This is a moderate to advanced level horizontal trip that will require you to be ok with no floor, and be able to squeeze and shimmy.
* Clover Hollow – This beginner vertical trip will go down two drops (70′ and 80′) and go through the main tourist loop. The entrance to this cave will also be a great cave to work on your vertical if you are just starting to learn!
* Newberry – A moderate level vertical trip out in Skydusky hollow. This trip should be doing the straddle pit loop,
* Yer – This is a advanced vertical trip to Panzy Canyon. It will be very wet, muddy, and tight, with some rebelays and wet exposed canyoning.
* A cave with water – Chris Garguilo will be leading a dive trip to one of the area’s sumped caves. Must be certified to cave dive to be underwater, or you can sherpa gear and check out the above water areas of the cave. Contact him if you’re interested!
* Somewhere with Philip Balister – He’s not sure where yet, but it will likely be horizontal, and probably somewhere that back in his day was pretty cool, but nobody ever goes there anymore.
* And more to be announced! We should have a list up soon on the website (fallvar2018.com) so that you can browse and ask the trip leaders questions before the event.
Tshirt and gear swap!
Have a few grotto shirts you are bored of? Have a cave suit that just doesn’t fit you, or a pack you never seem to use? Bring them to the Fall VAR T-shirt and gear swap! We will be setting up an area to buy/sell/trade/give away your second hand gear and caving shirts.